WORKPLACE EMERGENCY KIT
An emergency can happen at any time, so it's important to be prepared when you're at work as well as at home. Your workplace emergency kit should be in a single, easy-to-carry container in case you are evacuated from your workplace. A sample workplace emergency kit checklist is provided below.
WORKPLACE EMERGENCY KIT CHECKLIST
- Food: Include enough non-perishable food to sustain you for at least one day. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. The following items are suggested:
- Ready-to-eat canned meals, meats, fruits, and vegetables.
- Canned juices.
- High-energy foods (granola bars, energy bars, etc.)
- Water: At least one gallon recommended. Store water in plastic containers such as soft drink bottles. Avoid using containers that will decompose or break, such as milk cartons or glass bottles.)
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Battery-powered radio
Include usual non-prescription medications that you take, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, etc. If you use prescription medications, keep at least three-day's supply of these medications at your workplace. Consult with your physician or pharmacist how these medications should be stored, and your employer about storage concerns.
- First Aid Supplies
If your employer does not provide first aid supplies, have the following essentials:
- (20) adhesive bandages, various sizes
- (1) 5" x 9" sterile dressing
- (1) conforming roller gauze bandage
- (2) triangular bandages
- (2) 3 x 3 sterile gauze pads
- (2) 4 x 4 sterile gauze pads
- (1) roll 3" cohesive bandage
- (2) germicidal hand wipes or waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- (6) antiseptic wipes
- (2) pair large medical grade non-latex gloves
- Adhesive tape, 2" width
- Anti-bacterial ointment
- Cold pack
- Scissors (small, personal)
- CPR breathing barrier, such as a face shield
- Tools and Supplies
- Emergency blanket
- Paper plates and cups, plastic utensils
- Non-electric can opener
- Personal hygiene items, including a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, brush, soap, contact lens supplies, and feminine supplies
- Plastic garbage bags, ties (for personal sanitation uses)
- Include at least one complete change of clothing and footwear, including a long sleeved shirt and long pants, as well as closed-toed shoes or boots
- If you wear glasses, keep an extra pair with your workplace disaster supplies
- Important work documents, files, and equipment necessary to accomplish the essential functions of your job from another location.
- General Information
- Your kit should be adjusted based on your own personal needs
- Do not include candles, weapons, toxic chemicals, or controlled drugs unless prescribed by a physician